Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Who'd Have Thought...


My First 6K

I wasn't too excited to join the 6th World Heart Day Fun Run because it doesn't have a 5k category. The September 27 race, organized by the Phil. Heart Association Cebu Chapter, only included a 3k, 6k, and a 10k. Here's something that many don't know: I haven't jog/run throughout an entire 5k race. Ever. I've joined five 5ks, in each of which I always have walking intervals. So, why would I want to enlist in a 6k when I haven't entirely run a 5k? That's what your running buddies do to you. If everyone has signed in, you don't want to be left in the sidelines.


Must Have Been the Weather


Typhoon Ondoy gave Cebu City a morning with skies very dark with clouds, like it's about to pour. It did not, bestowing us instead with what I think is a very ideal weather for a run--very windy and a tad bit cool. At times there were really strong gusts of wind, successfully overturning the race organizer's tent. It tried many times to blow away my cap, too.



With that kind of weather, running wasn't much of a chore (I still took the usual walking breaks though). The group (this group should have a name soon. hmmnn…) agreed that we cannot have fared better if the Cebu sun was her usual bright self. So I guess it must have been Sunday's terrific atmospheric condition that had me and Jun surviving our first 6k albeit we didn't come prepared (rainy days = curling up and eating more). Lex also thinks it was the dandy weather that made him feel like the 10k was a 6k (he signed up for 6k but mistakenly run with the 10k runners).


The race course wasn't bad either--the road almost all to ourselves and the uphill was fun (overpass near Ayala). Bel should have signed up for the 6k but with recurring side stitches, she opted for the 3k.


What Do You Know?


Did I do great? A clock in time of 38 minutes and I-forgot-how-many seconds isn't. But if a great finish means finishing fifth in the 6K MEPZ women's category, hell yeah, I did!


Tapots hides behind the blur. Shy daw siya.


Who’d have thought? But maybe there were only five women from MEPZ who signed up. Hehe. But that’s an accomplishment still. I deserve a reward. Perhaps, a new pair of running shoes? Hmmnn, I hope mom reads this... ;-)


note to self: come up with a wish list soon (birthday and Christmas).

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations tapots! yeah, you deserve a new pair of shoes to torture :D

    ReplyDelete