Saturday, September 12, 2009

My First 5k Run


On the day to honor moms, I, along with a bunch of people from work, woke up early to join a run for mother earth. So it was on May 10, 2009, that I braved my first five kilometer run. Okay, make that 5k of run, trot, and walk.

Most of us in the group were first timers, which made me confident to register in the race. I wasn't too brave to sport comfy short shorts though so I just settled for my boring black sweat pants. I guess I didn't want to look like I'm trying too hard lest I won't finish the entire length of the race. But I did and I was so proud of the feat because two of our guys opted to do a short cut.

On a sad side note, Rex, my running buddy at work and part of our earth-run group, was shot dead in a senseless killing about a week after the run. Like me, he got afflicted by the running virus and had planned to train himself to someday join a marathon or two or more... I want to believe he still joins us now as we continue our pursuit of that dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment