Monday, September 14, 2009

My Third 5k

I guess it was Lex who was so determined to sign up for another 5k that he had me checking upcoming Cebu races barely a month after the last fun run. We later chose Rock N' Run because of the venue (Cebu International Convention Center), which means new race route (at least for us) and not too far for commute. The free concert after the race was also something to be excited about.

The race didn't live up to it's name though because of the weather. Early morning of August 16, I woke up to very dark skies and heavy rains. I didn't want to go to CICC thinking the race won't push through. But the other two thought better (from four, we were down to three--me, Lex, and Jun--as Lot got busy with her studies). The rain canceled the concert but not the fun run. The race would have been aptly named Rain N' Run instead.

When we arrived at the venue, there were just a few runners--barely 200 in my estimate. Like those who chose to stay home, I didn't want the run to push through. Even if the heavy raining transformed to just slight drizzle, I felt my shoe wouldn't survive the slippery pavement. And with big puddles everywhere, motorists could just splash/spray us.

The race organizer suggested postponement of the activity but the rest of the runners were not happy with the idea. I later caught on with the excitement especially when I saw race participants dressed as Madonna, Elvis, and the Incredible Hulk. With the Rock N' Run theme, I understand the two coiffed up as music icons but I don't get it why the raging green comic book monster was there too. Nevertheless, the guy with the green body paint had the most fans what with his big biceps and dressed only in short denim shorts, frayed at the hem. If the heavy rain came back during the run, he sure would turn back to Dr. Bruce Banner in a girl's shorts.

I couldn't recall my clock in time for that 5k but I can still vividly remember the fun amid the sweat and drizzle. And how the green guy was so far behind me in the race. I guess too much muscle could really slow you down.

No comments:

Post a Comment