Saturday, July 23, 2011

Race Pot Money to Top Lucky Runners

Except for little prizes raffled off after a race, non-elite runners like me and tons of others (e.g., novices, running because his doctor says he should, joining races because everyone is, those just wanting to counter calorie intakes during the week, etc.) would be too lucky to bag top prizes in running competitions. Well unless all top runners are somewhere else like in some major race with much bigger prizes or where only a handful attended because of the date and the weather (which reminds me I have been lucky once and bagged the top 3 spot).

Anyway, Google reader showed me a blog introducing a fun alternative to the usual give-the-pot-money-to-the-elites. If you're too lazy to click the link to read the entire post, I'll summarize the idea into two items:
  • a new award allocation format 
  • you could be real slow but you can still win the pot money
I bet my favorite pair of running socks that this wouldn't get the top runners and their handlers' nod. They would certainly be unhappy and argue to the lines of, "Where's the competition in that?! Now what would motivate one to run fast now? 1#^&$h+)x!" 

But for slowpokes like us, that kind of race would be exciting.

Now how to get this idea to race organizers... Hmnnn...

No comments:

Post a Comment