Monday, December 7, 2009

aaargh #*$%##s#!

I hate to say it but it maybe buh-bye to the half marathon this January for me. I have already skipped a huge chunk of my 21k training program and even ended a chow-filled week without running. It's doctor's advice--not the eating but the not pounding the pavement.

Before the visit to an Orthopedic Surgeon, I was already walking with a noticeable limp caused by a pain I felt on my right foot (yep, that part highlighted in the image below). image swiped from runnersworld.com

I dismissed the discomfort thinking the pain, like I had in my knee, will just go away (the knee started to hurt when I experimented with my running form but got alright after I went back to how I was doing it before I read materials and viewed videos about running). The injured foot, however, did not feel its normal self after a few days; it got even worse that friends and officemates readily noticed my uneven walking.

I can run or jog or walk real fast without that nagging pain but once I rest, especially with knees bent for some time (e.g., commuting in a cramped van), the first few steps would be difficult. A visit to the office clinic brought about the trip to an Ortho, which doctor I just chose from a list accredited by our healthcare insurance provider. As mentioned above, the appointment with the doctor brought me the refrain-from-running advice. I also had my right foot X-rayed, which X-ray showed nothing really wrong with my right foot. Now I'm taking expensive medicines and feeling heavy for not running in a week filled with parties.

I'm going to run tomorrow. Sssh, don't tell my doctor. I'll just be taking it easy anyway. And oh, my right foot doesn't hurt now. Really...

2 comments:

  1. Thats plantar fascitiis... Maybe you should have visited a doctor who is a runner so he/she can understand better... PT / rehab should work..try visiting a physiatrist like dr.romero... he is a member of the CERC...he will give you great runner's advice...

    seyy you on the road...by the way, have your foot /gait checked at RUNNR..it may actually be your shoe that's causing the problem...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I wished my doctor is a runner because I felt like he didn't understand all my whining. Thanks! I hope Dr. Romero is accredited by our insurance provider para free. Hehe. I'll check.

    And yes I've visited RUNNR and found out that my right foot overpronates way more than my left. I got stability shoes already but I think my right needs more support more than the other. I think I'll need insoles for added support. Hmmnn..

    ReplyDelete