Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Crazy, but...

I, Jun, and Lex, have started training for a half marathon. Yep, you read that right: 21 kilometers for the Jan. 10, 2010 Cebu Marathon. Crazy. Well, at least for me because it seems my running buddies are so welcome to the idea.

I won't register for the 21k, leave that to the guys, I kept telling myself. I believe the half marathon is too early for someone like me, someone who doesn't always enjoy the running as much as when I'm finishing it (or at the point when endorphins kick in). But I guess there's no harm in adhering to the training program. And maybe come registration time, I will catch from the two the madness that is the 21k. So when that happens, I come prepared.

Anyways, according to the program, long runs are set on Sundays; first of which was just this 25th. We took the road from Jun's place in Pusok, LLC, all the way to the Mactan Shrine. I love the route, especially the generous view of the sea. The trees that lined up the clean asphalt road also gave abundant shade to us that came unprepared for the harsh rays of the sun. Lessons learned for that first Sunday include:

  • Be on time. Or earlier. Running in the heat is not that fun.
  • Don't carry anything bulky including a bottle of water (yeah, I'm a dork). There are plenty of stores selling the bottled H20 even early a.m.
  • Bring small bills (the sound of loose change is too annoying) to buy the hydration or what have you.
  • Put on a generous amount of sunblock.

No comments:

Post a Comment