Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Race That Made Us Proud

The Jan. 10, 2010 Cebu City Marathon has left me proud as a peacock, what with all the glowing reviews it gained. I may not be part of the organizing group that worked very hard (Kudos to Cebu Executive Runners Club for a job well done) to make the event a huge success, but I am a Cebuano and we Cebuanos are a proud lot. We take pride in our own, from the various achievements of fellow Sugbuanons to our very own dialect. Cebuanos are proud being Cebuanos.

And so imagine my delight when Jaymie Pizzaro a.k.a. The Bull Runner gave the Cebu Marathon five TBR medals (excellent!).

“[T]he best local race I have ever joined. The organizers of Cebu Marathon got everything right from the carbo loading party to the awarding program,” she said. But my favorite was what she mentioned about us Cebuanos:

The one thing that stood out in this race, which contributed most to its success but didn’t cost a cent, were the people. The warmth and hospitality of the organizers and Cebuano runners were felt all throughout. Spectators lined the roads and cheered enthusiastically. It didn’t feel like another big corporate-sponsored racing event, but a run to celebrate Cebu, its people, and its culture.

Ahhhh, ain’t she sweet?

Aside from TBR, a number of running personalities and runner-bloggers agreed the race wasn’t that bad, to put it mildly.

Bald Runner
[T]he Cebu City Marathon was an outstanding road race that surpassed my expectations. From registration, distribution of race packets, carboloading party, race proper, up to the awarding ceremonies and the immediate posting of the official results, everything was “perfect”.


Amado L. Castro, Jr
[T]he manner the race was held has earned itself the rank right on top of the best if not the very best of any race events in the Philippines.


Drum and Run
It is by far the best road race I have participated in and is now my benchmark for future races to come.


Forefoot
For many points, the Cebu Marathon topped the charts.


Sheer Will

[I]t was a great race. A shoe-in for the Best Philippine Race of 2010 unless others up their ante.


Running Fatboy
Thanks to the organizers for making this a very good event. There were ample marshals, signs, and lots and lots of water. For your first year at doing this race, I can safely say that this was a SUCCESS!!!


Gingerbread Man
[I]t's one of my finest racing experiences ever, and you have got to try it next year.


Ani de Leon
This should totally be an annual event!!!!


Janine
The Cebu Marathon experience was simply awesome!


U-huh, I scoured the web for those plus a little help from Google Alerts.

Speaking of pride, I can't help but boast about my 29.03 in the 5k. A PR after a long running break! Yeba! Now I shouldn't feel a wee bit of a wimp for not taking a stab at the half marathon. There's always the next CCM. ;-)

Next post will be photos from the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment